One of the many things impacted by high inflation? Groceries, and that’s one thing we can’t just cut out. So how can we save on groceries? “PureWow” spoke to Kristen Gall, who is the retail and shopping expert at Rakuten. She shares that meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products have been the most affected by inflation. Here are her hacks on how you can cut down your grocery bills.
- Make a list before you shop and stick to it when you shop. Going into a supermarket unprepared tends to lead to you overbuying.
- Swamp out brand names for generic. A brand name doesn’t always mean it’s better in quality and the generic usually is made with similar or identical ingredients.
- Buy essentials in bulk. It’s true – the more you buy at one time, the cheaper it is per serving, so join warehouse clubs like BJs or Costco.
- Sign up for your supermarket’s loyalty program. Loyalty members tend to get sales and discounts that are only availability to them. Also, sign up for the store’s emails as they sent coupons that way, too.
- Use cash back platforms to save even more. Apps like Rakuten, Ibotta, Receipt Hog and Shopkick will give you coupons and rebates on stores including supermarkets.